Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 57

Thread: Altec 821A Cabinet Project

  1. #41
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Reed your work is just beautiful, the quality of result that can be obtained from the combination of advanced skills and dogged persistence. Congratulations on a successful project, and thank you for sharing it with us.

  2. #42
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Congratulations! The craftsmanship is outstanding
    You resurrected an old model to it's original
    state.

    ................

  3. #43
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    i am fairly capable with a saw and such, but your workmanship is by far and away better than mine, must be something to do with patience. they look great and i wish i could hear them..the whole system must be a real treat compared to the local cinema. bet it sounds good with a little music running too. crank it up for me!!!!

  4. #44
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    Superb Reed!

    I think you should have built a 3rd to be displayed as a working model/conversation piece exactly as shown in the last two pics.

    Many thanks for sharing your success and feeding our inspiration.

  5. #45
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for all of the nice comments.

    I hope that this may provide inspiration for others to tackle a project such as this.

    Let me know of questions you have as to some of my construction methods. I will reply.

    Here are the last 5 photos that I have to post.

    This is a photo of one of the studs.
    I drilled and tapped the hole in the wood for the 1/4 x 20 stud. I dipped the stud in Gorilla Glue and screwed it into the wood.

    stud

    Front view of the corner with the stud.

    cornerwithstud

    Components.

    components

    The Plans. Please remember that I made some changes for my situation. See the first part of this thread.

    821A1


    821A2

  6. #46
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Reed G. Hinton:
    Thanks for all of the nice comments.

    I hope that this may provide inspiration for others to tackle a project such as this.
    ....
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reed,
    I'm so sorry I didn't see that you had finished these cabinets last year. I followed it during the construction process. Such a wonderful job. You should be extremely proud of this. Congratulations! I bet it sounds incredible! And BTW, this is very "inspiring" work. Thanks for sharing it.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 29, 2008 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Steve Mac ]</font>

  7. #47
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post



    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 29, 2008 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Steve Mac ]</font>

  8. #48
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Steve, Thanks for your nice comments. I love my surrounds. Reed

  9. #49
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    And you saved yourself about $8k (and BTW if I didn't say it before they are astonishingly beautiful, I'm in awe)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/1957-Altec-820C-...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=003

    Dave

  10. #50
    Inactive Member music2myears's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2009
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 821A Cabinet Project

    I'm looking for info of any kind - plans, pics etc. for building a 821 cabinet.
    I have 802C/811 and a pair of 803A:s.

    It's a pity that the links to the project pics in this thread has been deleted - anybody download these?

    Grateful for any thing at all - Thanks!

    Cheers
    Peter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.